Is Your Home Ready for Spring
Why should you perform regular home maintenance?
Not only will you maintain the value of your property, you will make it easier to sell the property when the time comes to move on. To help you keep your home in tiptop shape throughout the year, we are happy to provide the following maintenance checklist:
- Test your smoke and fire alarms and replace batteries if needed. This simple step could save your life.
- Replace the filters in your furnace, air conditioner, etc. regularly as recommended by the manufactures.
- Inspect your fire extinguisher, making sure it is fully charged, the lock pin is intact and the discharge nozzle is not clogged.
- Schedule semi-annual maintenance inspections on your heating and cooling system to ensure proper performance.
- Grind up ice cubes in your garbage disposal to clean the blades, and then grind up citrus fruit rinds with baking soda to prevent or eliminate unpleasant odors.
- Check for cracks in the caulking around your windowsills, counter tops, faucets, bathtubs, toilets, sinks, backsplashes and any other area that apply
- Drain two gallons of water from your water heater to remove sediment from the bottom of the tank
- Take a walk around the outside of your home regularly to look for any potential problems
- Do not defer maintenance on your home. Resolving issues promptly will typically save money in the long run.
Now that we have sprung ahead and the weather is getting warmer, it is time to make sure your home is ready. In addition to the monthly maintenance tips, be sure to give attention to the following in the coming weeks:
- If you closed your attic vents during the fall, open them up for proper ventilation
- Remove, clean and store storm windows (if applicable)
- Have a licensed contractor perform a thorough inspection of air conditioning system to avoid problems when the weather gets hot
- Inspect your porch and/or deck for loose nails and loose or rotted boards. You may also want to consider cleaning, staining and sealing your porches, decks and wood fences
- Inspect your window screens for holes and tears and replace if needed
- Look for signs of cracking or peeling paint on the exterior of your home. Sand and repaint trouble areas to prevent rotting and reduce the need to repaint the entire house.
- Inspect the roof for damaged shingles
- Clean out your gutters, especially if there are numerous trees around
- Trim any trees or shrubs touching your home exterior
- Inspect your foundation for cracks and water penetration
At Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Hodrick Realty, no matter what your real estate needs are, we strive to make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Our brand stands among only a few organizations entrusted to use the storied Berkshire Hathaway name representing strength, integrity, trust and universal respect. As important, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Hodrick Realty offers you a wealth of real estate tools to help you buy and sell a home.
Once you are ready to take the next step in to sell your home or finding the perfect home, we are here to help and that’s “Good to Know™”!
Founded in 1991, Hodrick Realty is one of the premier full-service real estate firms in north central Pennsylvania. It operates offices in Williamsport, Lock Haven, Lewisburg and Danville, serving the counties of Lycoming, Clinton, Snyder, Sullivan, Union, Northumberland, Montour and Columbia. For additional information like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BHHSHodrickRealty.
More Articles Like This:
Knowing how much home you can afford will allow you to refine your home search, which will...
Newest Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Hodrick Realty Blog Posts...